Saturday, July 21, 2018

Four-Armed Avolokiteshvara - Malika Bouhdili

Four-Armed Avolokiteshvara

I awoke on sun-warmed grass
Nothing but light, hills and sky
Then saw a simple white robe
Draped from my shoulders to my thigh
I thought, Where am I?

Then something caught my eye –
A path of red and rose colored petals
Decorating a meadow until it led to a tree
And as I followed them they floated
Draping and adorning me.

My robe grew to my feet.
And was red and pink and free.

I arrived at the tree
And watched it grow with such speed
Taller than the hills behind it
Taller and I wanted to flee.

Frightened, I looked down
Saw my knees on the ground
Naked now
In cold shaded grass.

And there from soil emerged a figure
Growing grander than the tree and sky
Illuminated like the sun itself
White, four arms at its side
I started to cry.

It didn’t speak, but it asked me
What do you need to know?
I told it about my throat
And how my chest hurts me so
And I have doubts if I can glow
Or help beings in the throes
Of all the suffering on this cold
Cold grassy ground.

The being’s eyes beamed kindness
And I could feel my bruises swell
Then it reached out with one of its palms
And on my throat it fell.

But then it kept going
Through skin and flesh and bone
And pulled out from my neck
The most beautiful flowering rose.

And then another of its extremities
Suddenly upon my heart
Again it gently pushed aside
Blood, breast and clots
Until four arms emerged from my own chest
Like white new born stars.

Then I watched my altered body
With six hands free and lithe
Pluck roses from my throat
And hand them to the sky.

There were more roses than tides
More than glimmers in the night
And my arms never tired
Of gardening and giving.

Suddenly I began to grow
Rising as grand as the great being
Skin becoming thinner and luminescent
Until two suns embraced
Nothing but light in our place
Which blended with the blue
On the blankest brightest canvas.

No comments: