Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Falling off the saddle - Malika Bouhdili


Falling off the saddle
With wild mares bare and bucking
Rousing dust, crazed and shuffling
Metal hooves and there my body.

On the dirt beds of disturbances
I cannot see safety
Because there is none.
Sometimes there is none.

So I wait
I wouldn’t say patiently
Rather, resigned to trembling,
Fetal and limp on the ground.
Wait
For each stallion to writhe and rear
For unrestrained impulses
To exhaust to their natural end.

From the lowly footing of having fallen so many times
I think the bruises sting much more than the sages say.
I wish I had better news.

One more time I stroke the beast’s quieted leg
One more time I sing to it
One more time
With dust settled and hands still shaking
Will I pat its giant belly,
Will I marvel at its terrifying power,
Will I climb up to ride again.

Dear, Dear Malika.

No comments: